Friday, April 5, 2013

Only four months left

The calendar does not lie. It is only four months left to I will participate in Norseman Xtreme Triathlon. So am I ready? Well, I think it is hard to say you are ready for such a long competition when you have a family and a job, especially if you actually spend some time on both. As a typical age grouper I wish I had more hours to get all the wanted training done, but the reality is that preparing for Norseman is a balancing act.

 Rev3Portlandrunning

For me, I have to put my ambition for the race where my fitness level is. This is not an excuse, but a reminder that such a long day is a long day. Staring out believing I have the fitness as a pro will just end in a sad story of a 40+ male age grouper with too much ego and too little self knowledge. And we have all seen those…..

 GCFinish2

The truth is that I have done a good job the last one and a half year. Even though 18 months are a little too short time to build the best base, I feel I am on the right track. My coach Tony DeBoom has been outstanding getting me in better shap.I just need to remember not to bike like an idiot the first 2 hours. My plan for the bike is to climb like Cavendish and attack the downhills and flats like Schleck. If I do that I will have some left for the run. On the run I will try to run to zombie hill then start walking. The goal is not to bonk, but keep going steady, eat and most of all enjoy the journey.

 gausta_gaustatoppen

In the end I am fortunate being able to race Norseman.

No comments:

Post a Comment