Monday, May 27, 2013

Why I am happy with my coach Tony DeBoom

The sport of triathlon  have more coaches than athletes. You can find advertising for coaches in print magazines and online. In my area several coaches have teams with their athletes, and if you search online you can find everything from fixed program to a high end customized program with a high end prize. So in this maze, how did I end up with my coach Tony DeBoom?

TonyL

No not that Tony, this Tony



First I have to say something about my view of what is a good coach for me. My ideal coach will try to transfer knowledge, make me understand why I do what I do. If I get more knowledge I should be able to not only start a dialog about the training, but also give better feedback, and better feedback should give a better program.

I am 42, I am married, I have a kid, a job and triathlon is only one part of my life. I need a coach that understand how it is to be an age grouper with ambition to be a good dad also (not just to get an ironman tattoo).

I need a coach, not a dictator. I personally have never understood athletes being happy with a yelling coach, but on the other hand I am not a team sport of a guy......



So why Tony?

I had/have on goal, Norseman. I knew that it would be more practical to have an American coach, but it could be harder to find one who understood what Norseman is all about and also was a good fit for me. After I saw this interview with Tim DeBoom about his and Tony's experience at Norseman 2011 I knew I had to contact them regarding coaching.







Tony has made no promises other than that hard work is paying off, that ambitions should match what to put in, that the journey is as important as the race, that triathlon is suppose to be fun and that life will throw you curve balls.

He has given me the tools to make Norseman an epic journey. He has made me swim faster, bike longer and run happier. I have gotten a deeper understanding of how to structure triathlon training and also how to have fun.

2013 coaching ad

No comments:

Post a Comment