Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I am now a Huubster (Huub Archimedes review)

Finally I got to test out my new wetsuit. Just like Alister and Jonny Brownlee I am trying to find a second here and a second there, so it is just natural that the three of us ended up in the same type of wetsuit. Well, that is of course nothing but a joke. While the Brownlees can swim I am a 42 years old triathlete trying to survive the swim leg with some dignity left.

 brownlee-huub

So what is the difference between my now five years old entry level wetsuit ant the new one? Trust me, a lot. The wetsuit market has become a lot more crowded the last five years and new technologies has been tested, some has been kept other were just gimmicks. My old suit was a good beginner suit five years ago. The new suit is a modern state of the art suit in 2013.

GCswim2 

The first thing that hit me when I got the suit was that it was well made. This is important since a wetsuit can take a lot of beating and should be made to take that beating. The Huub Archimedes can do that. The second thing was that the suit was not full of gimmicky stuff; it was made for helping you swim better and faster in open water. Sometimes functional is better.

 

When you put the suit on and you have the right size (Thank you Beth from Huub USA) you feel and look like a superhero. The suit’s design is cool and to enhance the design you will automatically keep your tummy in. But the best of all, the suit feels right. This is important, swimming in open water especially with a lot of others, waves, and chaotic surroundings you do not want to feel discomfort from your wet suit. A bad fitting suit will just add stress. For me the Huub Archimedes just felt right.



So did my positive on land experience match my swimming experience? YES, the suit works. Best of all, you do not think about the suit when you swim, it is not in the way. What is important with all suits is to take time to put it on the correct way. If you want to get the most out of your suit, make sure you put it on and adjust it before you zip it up (Check swimsmooth.com for videos). And the Archimedes is a lot better suit than I am swimmer. I was impressed with the comfort and fit, I also swam faster than I have done earlier and due to a good design and quality rubber, I could actually lift my arms over my head after the swim.



Conclusion: Huub Archimedes is a fabulous wetsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment