Monday, June 24, 2013

Good news, another week of good training

It is time to get serious; it is time to feel tired, to be hungry and to wonder if you will ever feel prepared. I feel all of them. With a big red circle around August 3 on the calendar, it is not hard to get motivation to get out the door and work out.

 

Over the last weeks I have done a good job. I know I am training less hours than most so I try to make every hour count. So where am I?



Swim: I am getting better and can swim longer in the same speed. I guess both my endurance and form has improved. It is kind of strange that the swim leg of Norseman is the scariest one for most participates. When you think about it, you are fresh when you start swimming, you will not be fresh when you have 10 miles left of your running.

 

Bike: I know I will never be a mountain goat but mixing up long and easy rides with intervals have pushed my biking to a higher level.

 

Running: You will not think about Sebastian Coe when you see me running these days. I am not running like a feather, but more like a diesel engine. I do not need to be fast on the run, but I need to be strong. Hopefully my long runs have given my muscles more than one reason to keep going.

 

But back to training, I am training between 11 and 14 hours per week. This is what I can do right now balancing work and family life. I think it is quite a bit and I am actually a little bit proud myself. Many long distance triathletes will call me a wuss and not serious. But that is the charm with triathlon, there is more than one way to the finish line, and with my way I will still remember the name of my son.

This is a journey and it is up to me to enjoy it. I have done a lot of good work, the last week was good, now I just need to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment