Sunday, August 11, 2013

In deph analysis: the swim

One week has passed and I am down from my leg pain and Norseman high. Norseman was everything I had hoped for and more. What a race, what a journey.

But back to the swim. Almost every Norseman athlete has seen the videos of the jump of the ferry and cold athletes in T1. This is Norseman, the unpredictable swim. But what met me the Thursday before the race? Eidfjord was warm and the fjord was flat and beautiful. I took part in the social swim Friday morning and got a chance to test out most of my equipment. Also I thought all the other swimmers swam really fast, but I always feel that before a race. The water was quite nice and swimming with a hood and earplugs was really helpful.

DSC_0035

Eidfjord is a beautiful place to swim when the conditions are nice. I had the chance to talk with Jeff Glasbrenner, what an inspiration.

DSC_0041

While the weather on Friday was really nice, the weather forecast for race day was not. But on the mandatory race meeting the organizer said the swim will go on as planned and that the temperature was good. I was happy.

Raceday

Woke up early after a bad nigh of sleep. But that was no surprise. Walked down to T1 with my brother and got my bike checked in. Then I start focus on the swimming, now it was me, the ferry, the jump and 3.8 kilometer of water ahead of me. Last good luck from my brother and on the ferry I went.

Photo: He's on the ferry. 40 minutes to start

Sitting on the ferry is just like the videos and pictures. It is excitement, nervousness and long lines for the restrooms. The heart is syncing up with the ferry engine and when the engine stops, so did my heart. Now it was real. The gate open and we all walked to the jump. I made the jump and kept my goggles. The swan to the kayaks and start the waiting game. It felt like hours but then the horn went of and Norseman 2013 started.

I felt ok, but got hit my some big waves and headwind. Luckily I did not swallowed any water and kept cool, got into an ok rhythm and tried to focus on keeping a good form. I did not feel that I swam fast but tried to keep a positive attitude. As most athletes I swam close to the shore. After a while I could smell bonfire. Land was in sight, but so far away. I was sure I could see the earth curve, but I guess I am just a slow swimmer.

After 3 kilometer I made the turn a the only buoy. Now it was only the home stretch left. Some more waves made that stretch to stretch out quite a bit, but than I saw the end. Of course I managed to fall down and made a big splash.

I ran into T1 and was met by my brother. I could see a lot of bikes still there and my brother told me that I had used 1.15, that was just 5 minutes behind my best of scenarios, and I had done it in challenging conditions.

Looking back I am really happy with my swim. My Huub Archimedes 3:5 is a good wetsuit for me. I am glad I used a neoprene hood and sock. I did not freeze at all. Overall I had set myself up for a good Norseman with a solid swim.

Photo: Friday swim (foto: Bent Olav Olsen)

Eidfjord the day before, what a place.

DSC_0033

No comments:

Post a Comment