Sunday, August 18, 2013

In deph analysis: the run

I was not sad getting into T2. It was nice to get off the bike, take the wet cycling shoes and socks off and get ready for a hard marathon. What, I have to run a whole marathon and it is hard, now, after 1.15 swimming and 7.50 biking? Well, that is Norseman so I was ready.

Going out of T2 I grab a can of coke and got a really nice message. I was number 80, I knew that I could reach my goal. I just had to be smart on the run and do not push myself into red. I also had to not think of other athletes. I knew that with limited hours of training, my run would not be strong and that others would pass me.

With the can of coke in my had I started to run. My legs did not feel to bad and the first kilometers went without any problems. I fun fact, when we drove to my Grandma in Rjukan growing up I always this stretch around Tinnsjoen SO long. Now I had to run it as part of a long distance triathlon, history can be cruel.

My friend Russell Newlow passed me, he had running legs from the triathlon God and was steaming ahead. It was fun to watch. Other athletes also passed me, but not in the same speed. The whole run went ok so far. 5k, 10k, 15k, I was now running in a group. We still could not se the mountain, but we know it was there.

On the false flats between 20 and 25 kilometer I found myself in a dark spot. My support had to fix the car and I needed fuel. I have no one to blame but myself. I did not fuel enough early in the run, my brother offered a hand bottle with coke as an emergency and I should have run with a Fuel Belt. But this is Norseman and I got help from some others athletes support and also Mike Tate gave me a energy drink. All this happen wile the beautiful mountain appeared. Mount Gaustatoppen was so intimidating, but at the same time all I wanted was to get on the peak. I passed the first 21k in 2.02. Not bad at all.

gausta_gaustatoppen

My brother and the car was back and I in the was closing in on Zombie hill. The last 10 miles of Norseman has over 5,000 vertical feet to negotiate. Yes, it is steep and hard.

HALVARD - WIN_20130804_011934

My brother was there and he walked with me the whole way. I started to get really tired, but I also felt so lucky. Here I was, racing the race of my dream, I knew I had the black t-shirt in reach, and I had my brother walking with me. I could not asked for better support.

The hill was steep but I tried to walk at a speed that was working for me. A friend of mine Lene Satterwhite had taken the drive from Oslo to cheer on me and seeing here was nice. I was closing in on the cut of point at 32.5k.

When I arrived I got the message;"good news, you will finish at the peak, bad new the lightening has taken out the elevator so you have to walk down". This was Norseman. First you have to reach the hardest finish in triathlon, then you have to walk down for 4.7k.

I struggled a little between 32.5k and 37k. I guess I knew I had made it and at the same time my body was in pain so badly. But when I arrived at 37k and the gate up to Gaustatoppen, my dad was there and said he would walk with me and my brother. That was a great moral buster. Now I would finish the race with both my brother and dad.

Walking up I actually felt quite strong. I must have been on a Norseman high. The top athletes were on their way down and were cheering on all us suffering age groupers. That was really appreciated. Those 4,7k are long and on a rocky surface. I walked, walked and walked. The peak closed in but not fast enough. And yes, I was in pain.

But then the peak got closer. The feelings start bobbling to the surface. I just had to walk the last bit and it would all be over. Just some more steps and I was there.

Then I crossed the finishing line. I had done it. Right there it all made sense. All the hours of training, the bad weather, the pain, the hard patches. I had done it. I sat a big goal in November 2011, I wanted the black t-shirt. Now I had done it, and I had done it with my brother and dad. Tears ran down my checks, the feeling of accomplishment was overwhelming. I was so proud of my support team, of all that had supported me, and I was really proud of myself. After 15 hours and 45 minutes of racing, and a way longer journey I had arrived.

The tomato soup you get after finishing is unbelievable. The closeness you feel to the other athletes and support teams are hard to describe. The though of soon have to walk down was almost fun. Walking down I was thinking of what the advice Stuart McCloud had told me, enjoy the journey and never ever give up. What a race, what a journey and it is unbelievable how much pain you can handle.

Walking down my brother still supported me. He with my father had 100% dedication to help me to reach my goal. Those two are some amazing people.

 





 

 





 



 



 

 





 

 

 



 



 



No comments:

Post a Comment