Tuesday, August 13, 2013

In deph analysis: the bike leg

I had a good swim and T1 was ok. Off with wet suit, hood and socks. On with wool socks, arm warmers, reflective west, gloves, shades and helmet. Also the bike was equipped with white light in front and red in the back like the rules required. Ahead of me was 180k/112m of Norseman bike leg. And what a bike leg it would be.

This is the Norseman profile (minus the last hill, it is for the run leg). Out of the gate you climb for 40k, then it is easier to 90k Geilo, the last half has four hills. Overall over 10,000 feet of vertical climbing.

Profile

But before I spill the beans on the bike course, I have to talk about my choice of bike and wheels. Choosing a bike for Norseman is not easy, it has to climb, decent and stop, the same goes for wheels. My choice of bike was a Cervelo S5 road bike but with the seat at a 76 degree angel, I had clip on aerobars but since went for Shimano Di2 I also had shifters on the aerobars. The crank was a semi compact 36 - 52 with a 28 cassette in the back. One of the best features of this set up is the simplicity and conventional breaks.

WP_20130720_001

My position was a little more aggressive than when this picture was taken.

Then the next question was, what about wheels? I was lucky, Lars Finanger and Mavic asked if I wanted to ride on one of their wheel set. I went with clincher since that is what I am used to and the new 40C. These wheels are versatile and most of all, they have stopping power in dry and wet conditions. Overall I am really satisfied with my bike and wheels.

The road to Dyranut

Back to the bike leg. Out of T1 I was surrounded by a lot of athletes. The first kilometers are almost flat and you leave the main road and start biking on the old road. This is a scenic road, but narrow and bumpy. The flats were over and the climbing started. An what a climb. The climb was as brutal as the nature surrounding us was beautiful. Part of the old road is closed so all the athletes had to ride 2k in 8% climbing in a tunnel. That was quite an experience. I felt I had control, I got passed by clearly stronger riders but I also passed others. Half way through the first climb I met my support team for the first time. My brother had everything ready, but I asked for the only thing he did not have. Poor guy, he was a champion all through the whole race. This is the sign I passed at this point, it is for the drivers going down hill.

DSC_0013

After this point you stay on the main road up to Dyranut and what met me? HEADWINDS. Yepp, I would battle headwinds most of the day. It was so bad that I had to climb in aero position due to the wind. It started to get quite cold also. I told my brother I needed my west at Dyranut. Dyranut can be beautiful like this picture shows, sadly it was taken on Thursday and not race day.

DSC_0009

I had a short pit stop at Dyranut, off with the reflective west and on with my Castelli Gabbe jacket with the arms taken off. Now the plan was to enjoy the ride to the halfway point at Geilo. The only thing in the way was that headwind. I could feel the climb in my legs but tried to relax in the down hills and not push in the few up hills. The kilometers ticked of, suddenly I passed Haugastoel and then Ustaoset. It was really nice to see all the spectators standing in the wind with flags. I tried to smile back. After Ustaoset I could enjoy some nice down hills, I was closing in to the halfway point but it had taken me almost 4 hours. Norseman was really xtreme.

DSC_0079

DSC_0082

After the halfway point I had four climbs in front of me. My brother asked if I wanted to know my position I was and I said yes. He said I was number 80. I was in shock, had I started too hard? I shouted back that my plan was to spin up the hills and make sure I did not cook my legs. The first hill went uneventful, at the top my plan was to enjoy the nice cabins surrounding Kikut but mother nature wanted to send me more headwind and also some frozen rain. It was cold, and even colder when I went down hill. I was shaking on my bike. When I rolled into the bottom of the next hill I told my brother I needed my neoprene cloves. I got warmer up the hill and it was nice to get warm cloves at the peak. I still had to battle rain and wind, but now I had two out of four climbs behind me.

DSC_0083

DSC_0086

The third climb went the same way. I made sure I kept my legs spinning and even if someone passed me I did not push. My brother did an amazing job reminding me to eat and also gave me bananas and new bottles. Down from the third climb you have a long downhill. It was cold but I had time to relax a little bit. Ahead of me was the last big climb, Imingfjell.

The last of the climbs is long and grinding. I tried to get as easy ride as possible and got passed by some athletes. It always seamed to be one more turn all the way to the top, but after way to long I was on the top of the climb and was met with rain, headwind and fog. The climb had been hard, the 10k false flat at the top is something I will remember for ever. It was so hard, so bad and so cold.

Photo: Weather over the last mountain, Imingfjell

My brother and dad stood 6 meters from the road and tried to shout to me but I could not hear them. When I reached the end of the "flat" I had a challenging downhill with switchbacks. I was really happy I had the Mavic C40 wheel set. I had breaking power in the rain and even though I hit several potholes the wheels kept performing.

Down Tessungdalen I tried to bike as fast as I could. The road surface is really bad so I hit potholes, had to make bunny hops over gravel and it was still raining. I passed my moms grave and some tears appeared. It was a special feeling.

Finally the bike leg was over. I had used 7.50, the longest I have ever been on a bike. What a bike leg, what weather, but I did good. Overall I am really proud of my performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment