Friday, September 7, 2012

Holmenkoll Relay Race Report

The Holmenkollstafetten is the best sign of spring in Norway. 55 000 athletes are filling the streets of the Norwegian capital Oslo trying to run as fast as they can for their team. The relay consists of 15 stages ranging from 400 meters up to 2,700 meters with both uphill and downhill stages.

I was recruited by my brother to run for two teams. First I should run for his sports club and later in the day the plan was to run for his employer. This is typical for the relay, it spans from serious running to more participation.

For my brother’s team Loerenskog Friidrettsklubb I had the second stage. The 1,100 meters stage starts inside the historic stadium Bislett by running over the grass, then you turn and run a false flat outside the stadium before you start climbing up a steep hill. The last 100 meters are almost flat with a little kicker. My brother ran the first stage, he is a good master runner (16.45 on 5k) but the field was good and he really had to push to stay in the middle of the field. Then it was me…….

It has been a long time since I have been doing any track related competition. Last time I ran the relay I had hair and was still in high school. Also my long distance triathlon training had just been going on for 6 months so I was not in the best shape. Standing there waiting for my brother I looked at my competitors, suddenly I felt old, fat and slow. My brother put in a surge the last 50 meters and there I was with the baton in my hand and the game was on.

Running over the grass towards the marathon gate I got passed by fast skinny dudes. I decided that this race was about not being stupid and just run my own race. Running 1,100 meters is fast over even though the hill kicked my butt. I made the exchange and was satisfied with not hitting the wall or embarrassing myself. Most of all, I had a lot of fun.

Three hour later I was ready for my second run. This time it was in the company class and I was running for my brother’s employer. This is what is so fun with Holmenkollstafetten. The streets are filled up with all kinds of athletes, from pros to average Joes. Waiting for the baton I looked around and I suddenly felt skinny and fast. It is easier to run against average Joe than real runners. My stage was third to last, 1,100 flat meters. It was a fun run, especially since I passed people the whole way.

 

Conclusion: I had so much fun, I did ok and I know I can only be faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment