Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Beaver Lake Triathlon Race Report

Beaver Lake Triathlon is a local race close to where I live. It always has a good atmosphere and the course is quite challenging to be a sprint. The swim is 400 meters in the usually warm Beaver Lake. The bike leg is 13 miles with three climbs and the run is 4.3 miles with some rolling terrain. Since the water temperature was nice I decided to race without a wetsuit. As a weak swimmer the wetsuit is good help but sometimes it is good to go outside the comfort zone.

Swim:

I had a good warm-up, then the race start god delayed and all my effort went down the drain. I started in wave 9. The swim went ok. I could feel that my legs did not have any help since I did not used a wetsuit, but overall I am satisfied.

T1:

No wetsuit = fast transition. I had the fastest transition of everybody, even though I had a less than perfect place for my bike.

Bike:

I started passing people right out of T1, used a little time to get warm but then it was no problem. A little bit of traffic slowed me down but the police and volunteers worked hard to get the cars out of the way. I felt strong in the hills, especially the long one. But since I just passed people I did not have any reference point of faster athletes. All the biking in the garage has paid off.

T2:

Had some problem with one shoe, but other than that no problem.

Run:

I had two goals: start slow and keep high cadence. I managed to hold back the first half mile, got into a good rhythm and just focused on keeping the cadence up. I kept passing people and no one passed me. The run was a positive experience; I felt that I was running not just suffering on heavy bike legs. I pushed hard the last half mile and even tried a little sprint. I was fun finishing strong.

Conclusion:

OMG I got 20th place out of 350. I had a lot of fun and now know I am getting in better shape.

Top 10 Masters



Top 20 Overall



 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment